Sunday, August 17, 2008

Islam has no VIP section !

I was reading some South African blogs and I came across an interesting, recurring concept. It appears that muslimness is more linked to arabness than any other nationality. I find this rather strange for a few reasons. For one it is not 1400, secondly because the arab monarchy sets the most garish example of what is NOT muslim and lastly because Islam was revealed as a religion unto mankind and not just unto the arabs (or do I need to re-learn the Seerah?).

Of the 1 billion – and still growing number of - muslims worldwide the arab population is only a fraction. Maybe the revelation I should share is that ... All arabs are not muslim *gasp*! Infact Zorastrianism began in the Middle East and Yazidis are from the reigion as well. What I'm trying to say is that every single religion and lack of religion (athiests, humanists) has arab followers.

The other thing that I find amusing is how we treat words written in arabic. Just because something is written in arabic doesn't make it holy. What language do you think they use in arab erotica?

While we on the subject of “ all that is arab...” let me add that the desert and oasis are not only indigenous to the Middle East. Almost every continent from South America to Austrailia has desert land and all of them have equally beautiful women that live in them and oasis' that sustain them. Needless to say, this blog is not a celebration of all arab but rather a celebration of the symbols and lessons of that we may learn from the desert.

3 comments:

Aasia said...

Thanks for this.

I have been saying it for a while, because I have a cousin who is obsessed with all things arab.

i mean I love belly dancing, and some of the hunky guys.

But they aren't the status i aspire to.

abu shariati said...

with regard to:

"It appears that muslimness is more linked to arabness than any other nationality. I find this rather strange for a few reasons."

I agree, but you missed the most important reason: everyone knows that it is in fact your closeness and linkages to PAKISTANI CULTURE that makes you more Muslim :)

Anonymous said...

lol@arab erotica. That's just classic!