Some Facts About Domestic Violence
- Average number of times an abuser hits his spouse before she makes a police report: 35
- Estimated number of children, worldwide, exposed to domestic violence everyday: 10,000,000
- Number of women in the U.S. who report intimate partner violence: 1 in 4
- Number of women who will experience partner violence worldwide: 1 in 3
- Order of causes of death for European women ages 16-44: domestic violence, cancer, traffic accidents
- Number of women killed by spouses who were shot by guns kept by men in the home in France and South Africa: 1 in 3
- Country in which 943 women were killed in honor killings in 2011: Pakistan
- Worldwide, likelihood that a man who grew up in a household with domestic violence grows up to be an abuser: 3 to 4 times more likely than if he hadn't.
- Percentage of teen rape and abuse victims who report their assailant as an intimate: 76
- Percentage change between 1980 and 2008 of women and men killed by intimate partners in the U.S.: (w) 43 percent to 45 percent; (m) 10 percent to 5 percent
- Increase in portrayals of violence against girls and women on network TV during a five year period ending in 2009: 120 percent
- The number one cause of death for African American women ages 15-34 according to the American Bar Association: homicide at the hands of a partner
- Chance that a lesbian** in the U.S. will experience domestic (not necessarily intimate partner) violence: 50 percent
- Ratio of women shot and killed by a husband or intimate partner compared to the total number of murders of men by strangers using any time of weapon, from 2002 homicide figures: 3X
- Number of people who will be stalked in their lifetimes: 1 in 45 men and 1 in 12 women.
- Percentage of stalkers identified as known to victims: 90.3
- Percentage of abused women in the U.S. who report being strangled by a spouse in the past year: 33 to 47.3 (this abuse often leaves no physical signs)
- According to one study, percentage of domestic abuse victims who are tried to leave after less severe violent and nonviolent instances of abuse: 66 versus less than 25
- No. 1 and No. 2 causes of women's deaths during pregnancy in the U.S.: Domestic homicide and suicide, often tied to abuse.
- Percentage of rape and sexual assault victims under the age of 18 who are raped by a family member: 34 Number of women killed everyday in the U.S. by a spouse: 3+
- Percentage reduction in reports of violence after men and women in South Africa went through an educational training program on health, domestic violence and gender norms: 55
*Read the full article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya-chemaly/50-actual-facts-about-dom_b_2193904.html