Monday, September 5, 2011

An Ethnic Volksie ...

(Image:google)

I couldn't resist posting this 1990s Volkswagen Beetle named "Vochol". It's part of an exhibition on Huichol culture at the Museum of Puebla. Its name "Vochol", is a combination of "Vocho," a popular term for Volkswagen Beetles in Mexico, and "Huichol", a Mexican indigenous group. The car was decorated by indigenous craftmen from the Huichol community living in the states of Nayarit and Jalisco, using traditional beads and fabric. This beauty will be auctioned and the proceeds will go to the Huichol community.

3 comments:

Dreamlife said...

Very cool. I've seen some very Hippie-looking VWs here too. Would be fun to ride in something like that.

desert demons said...

Yeah isn't it amazing - My bro and I had one as a first car - it's quite the companion :)

Anonymous said...

That is frikkin sweet! Can't believe I missed it when you first posted this! :) Shows what happens when you dont come back often enough.