Thursday, February 17, 2011

Do Not Ask ...

       Do not ask me
       For that past love
       When I thought
       You alone illumined
       This entire world
       And because of you
       The sorrows of life
       Did not matter.
      
I thought
       Your beauty gave permanence
       To the colors of spring
       And your eyes were
       The only stars
       In the universe.
      
I thought
       If I could only make you mine
       Destiny would, forever, be
       In my hands.
      
Now I know
       There are afflictions
       Which have nothing to do with desire
       Raptures
       Which have nothing to do with love.

       On the dark loom of centuries
       Woven into
       Silk, damask, and goldcloth
       Is the oppressive enigma
       Of our lives.
       Everywhere--
       In the valleys and bazaars--
       Human flesh is being sold--
       Throbbing between layers of dust--
       Bathed in blood.
       The furnace of poverty and disease
       Disgorges body after body--
       Your beauty is still
       A river of gems
       But now I know
       There are afflictions
       Which have nothing to do with desire
       Raptures
       Which have nothing to do with love.

       My love, do not ask me ...

                                         -Faiz

No comments: